Gluten free bakeries in Chicago are a pleasant reality. Yes, the windy city has many bakeries that are either fully gluten free or have an extensive gluten free menu. For gluten sufferers or Celiacs, this is a tremendous relief as they can have their favorite treats without fear of cross contamination and illness. Here are some of the city’s best below:
Gluten Free Bakeries Chicago
Wheat’s End Café – Located at 2873 North Broadway. 100% GLUTEN FREE. this cafe has both savory dishes and baked goods that are gluten free. There are also dairy free and vegan options available. There are also a good range of frozen goodies available that you can take to stock up your home freezer with deliciousness! All entirely gluten free, of course.
Gets a whopping 4.6/5 on Google reviews.
Look at some of their menu options:
- Spicy chicken and waffles
- Three egg omelettes with your choice of fillings, including chorizo, cheddar cheese, avocado or spinach
- Wheat’s End pancakes – chocolate chip pancakes, blueberry pancakes, or classic. Yes, yes and yes please to all three if you ask me.
- Grilled cheese on vegan sourdough bread. Gorgeous.
- Gluten free gyros!!
- Cinnamon rolls, scones, chocolate chip cookies and more to end off on a sweet note.
We love that this cafe calls itself ‘Surprisingly gluten free’, because we are all about bakeries that are 100% gluten free, yet have products so delicious that no one would ever even know they WERE gluten free! Yes!!
Sweet Ali’s Gluten Free Bakery – 100% GLUTEN FREE. The bakery has been open for 10 years with one location on 1107 Waukegan Road in Glenview and the other on 13 West 1st St in Hinsdale. This one gets 4.7/5 on Google Reviews! Nice.
This is a certified gluten free bakery with dairy free and vegan options available. Some items from their menu are toffee bar, cream cheese brownie, rocky road brownie, mega chocolate chip cookie, caramel Frappuccino cupcake, challah loaf, hamburger buns, key lime pie and Dutch apple pie.
You can also find Sweet Ali’s products across the Chicago area at over 150 local supermarkets and restaurants. Just in case you don’t want to make a special trip, keep an eye open for their products at other locations, and support this local business.
Oh, and to make your day a little brighter – Sweet Ali’s has a Cupcake of the Week Calendar to give you a heads-up on what gluten free cupcakes they’re making when. Now THAT is a calendar I can get behind!! Plan ahead to get your favorite cupcake treats. (A little preview of some of their scrumptious cupcake flavors: Vanilla Raspberry cupcakes, Hot Chocolate cupcakes, and Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes. Oh my!)
defloured: A Gluten Free Bakery – Located on 1477 West Balmoral Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. This bakery is a 100% dedicated Gluten Free facility. And this one gets 4.8/5 on Google Reviews. I love how the reviews and ratings just keep going higher and higher with each new bakery that we find!
Their menu has a large selection of items such as bars, cookies, cupcakes, sandwich cookies, pies, scones, cake pops and breads.
But, let’s look at some of those products in detail, shall we?
- Their range of delicious bars include: Blondie Bars with Pecans, Lemon Bars, Raspberry Bars, Seven Layer bars (oh I’d like one or two of those please!!) and so many others to choose from. Their selection is incredible.
- Defloured has Cookies in two sizes, either small or large. Varieties include the always popular Chocolate Chip, Macaroons, Chocolate or Chocolate Cherry Macaroons (Oh yeah!), Oatmeal Raisin, Monster cookies, and so many more! Craving a cookie yet? The Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookie also piqued my interest, as it sounds so delicious and unique.
- Cupcakes in many lovely flavors and combinations, such as: Red Velvet with Cream Cheese frosting (classic!!), Double Vanilla – Vanilla with Vanilla frosting, Vegan Chocolate with Vegan chocolate frosting, and more.
- Defloured also does a range of excellent gluten free breads, such as: White Sandwich bread, Challah bread in two sizes, Pizza bread in loaves or rounds and Irish Soda bread. Gluten free Irish soda bread – that is awesome. Please note that the Irish Soda bread is by special request only.
- Plus, gluten free pies, gluten free scones, gluten free whoopie pies – almost too many options to list. So, definitely check out the menu on their website to get all their latest offerings.
Gluten free bakeries are thriving in Chicago and this trend will continue as more consumers look for gluten free baked goodies to satisfy their sweet tooth – even if they are Celiac. Also, the quality of baked goods produced has risen. Now many of the gluten free baked goods produced actually rival or surpass their gluten-filled counterparts. This means that everyone in Chicago can enjoy a wonderful treat, no matter what your dietary restrictions may be. So plan your next outing or order your favorite treat knowing that something delicious awaits you. Enjoy and stay safe!
You Might Also Like:
- Are chocolate chips gluten free?
- Is cornstarch gluten free? Gluten free baking questions
- Gluten free breakfasts – 8 delicious and easy ideas
- Do shortbread cookies have gluten?