Are Nerds gluten free? (And yes, we are most definitely talking about Nerds, the candy, and not human nerds. Some of us are nerds and quite proud of it! haha) I remember Nerds candy fondly…those little nuggets of sugary goodness that are at once both sweet and a little sour. Delicious as an occasional treat! But, for those of us suffering with either Celiac disease OR a gluten allergy or intolerance, we need to answer the question – are they gluten free or not?
Nerds ARE gluten free – mostly
Like many candies, Nerds are considered a gluten free food. Why? Nerds contain no gluten containing ingredients, such as wheat. But, the packages of candy contain the warning that Nerds may be made on processing facilities that make confections and foods that DO contain wheat. So, if you’re Celiac, please be aware of a risk of cross contamination.
So, for many of us, Nerds is a movie time or snack time treat that we CAN have, because there are no gluten ingredients in the candy. BUT, beware if you are Celiac, due to possible cross contamination. That is why these candies cannot be verified to be gluten free, and are not labelled as gluten free on the packages of candy.
Most varieties of Nerds have no gluten ingredients. Here are just some of the types of Nerds candies available:
- Nerds Rainbow candy
- Nerds Big Chewy sour candy
- Nerds Gummy Clusters (that name made me sort of chuckle!)
- Nerds Watermelon and Cherry
- Nerds Double Dipped Lemonade – Wild Cherry and Apple-Watermelon
- Frosty Nerds
- Very Berry Nerds rope candy – Which is a chewy rope candy covered in bits of Nerds. Huh! That sounds like a bit of everything all in one candy rope.
And apparently there are a lot of Nerds fans out there. You can even show off your love of Nerds candy with this nifty little Nerds candy travel pillow. I just had to share that with you, I couldn’t help myself. I never imagined there was such a pillow available, so now I know better. What would make a cooler gift for a nerd who loves to travel?
Gluten free candy and food
We do a lot of research around here into which of our favorite snack foods and candy are gluten free. We try to answer questions about which foods are or aren’t gluten free, so you can enjoy your faves without worrying. Here are just a few of our most recent discoveries:
- Is Kit Kat gluten free?
- Is Jimmy John’s gluten free? Does Jimmy John’s have gluten free bread?
- Krispy Kreme gluten free – do they have gluten free donuts?
- Are chocolate chips gluten free?
- Are Jolly Ranchers gluten free?
- Are Starburst candies gluten free?
- Are Cheerios gluten free?
- Are Twix candy bars gluten free?
- Are Funyuns snacks gluten free?
- Are Twizzlers gluten free?
Conclusion: Are Nerds gluten free?
So, for the most part Nerds are gluten free. But they aren’t considered safe if you have Celiac disease, due to the possibility of cross contamination. We will keep trying to find the best foods and snacks available that ARE gluten free! Please bookmark us and visit often to find out what we discover next.
This post contains affiliate links. This means we may earn a small commission on sales made through those links, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Glutenfreetree.com.